Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Bliss of Freedom


The Bliss of Freedom

“Allan… Allan, where are you?”

Allan was busy in the garage folding boxes and preparing to attack the pile of junk that had built up over a long time. He and his wife Sarah were due to move to another house in three weeks, and there was still a lot to be done!

Allan stopped what he was doing for a moment, then shouted out, “Are you calling me honey? I’m downstairs in the garage!”

A few minutes later Sarah appeared with a cell phone in her hand.

“Hey honey, Colleen is on the line. She wants me to go shopping with her today or tomorrow. She says she needs some company. Do you mind me going with her?”

Allan thought for a moment before answering. Then he said, “Honey, I know that you love going shopping, and I really don’t want to stop you, but you know we don’t have much money right now. It would be better to hold on a little bit until that deposit comes through. It’ll be here in about a week.

Also honey, to be honest, you have so much packing and stuff to do, and you know how time flies. I really don’t think you should think about it until we’ve moved. You know that I don’t mind, but you also know how much there is to be done. I don’t want you to run out of time and be under stress again. Also, remember we’ve got those meetings next week too. Sorry, but I don’t think it’s a good idea right now.”

Sarah didn’t say a word to him, but turned away in anger and stormed up the stairs again so she could continue talking without Allan hearing her.

“Men!” she snarled at Colleen. “They are so irritating! He said I can’t go until we’ve moved, and also said there isn’t enough money right now and I should wait. He’s so annoying and controlling sometimes. For goodness sakes, it’s only for an afternoon, and I’m not going to break the bank! Besides, I have my own money.”

She sighed deeply then tried to calm down a bit.

“Sorry Colleen,” she said. “I didn’t mean to take it out on you. I really feel annoyed and restless. You know me. When I get like that I just love going shopping.”

“Don’t worry,” Colleen said. “I understand. Hey we can go another time. Then we can really make a time of it! Hey, Paul is like that with me sometimes too, and I react just as badly. Allan will give in sooner or later. Just keep nagging him,” she said, then she giggled like a naughty school child.

“Okay, well have a good afternoon then, whatever you decide to do. See you sometime soon.”

They said good bye, and then Sarah walked to the bedroom to put the phone back. As she passed the stairs, Allan was coming up. He could tell by the look on her face that she was mad at him, but he was determined not to be moved by it. He grabbed her round the waist as she walked past and kissed her playfully.

“Still annoyed with me?” he said jokingly. Then he looked at her and said seriously, “Hey, I love you!”

“Just don’t talk to me! You know that shopping is one of my favorite pastimes, especially when I’m feeling stressed. Can’t you just let me enjoy myself for an afternoon? It’s not going to kill you Allan!” Then she glared at him angrily.

Now Allan was starting to get annoyed. He was usually calm, and very little made him lose his composure, but now he turned to face her and looked her right in the eyes.

“Sarah, I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to go,” he said firmly and slowly. “I don’t know why, but I just have a bad feeling about it. In Biblical terms, I feel a 'Thummim' about it. Now please, for once in your life trust my judgment! Maybe it’s just not a good time right now, I don’t know. I just don’t want you going.”

“You’re just ridiculous!” she snapped at him. “You’re so controlling!”

“Now you’re the one being ridiculous,” he yelled. “You know that I always give you liberty to do what you want to, even when you stay out for ages away from me. You’re making it very hard to keep calm Sarah. I’m sorry, but the answer to going out now is no – and that’s it!” Then trying to calm his loud voice he said, “I need you babe! I need you to help sort everything out. Please. Let’s really push it, then we can have a good rest.”

“Whatever,” she said, walking past him and not even really listening to him.

Allan threw up his hands in despair and sighed. Would she ever listen to him without there always being a fight? He just felt despondent and depressed then, and suddenly realized that he was extremely tired.

He walked through to the bedroom and found Sarah touching up her make up in their en suite bathroom. She was finishing with some bright red lipstick that he loved so much. Allan sat there on the bed watching her and thinking how beautiful she was and how much he loved her. She was slim with gorgeous, shoulder length auburn hair, and she always wore clothes that made her look very attractive.

When she had finished she turned around and saw Allan sitting on the bed.

“What are you doing here? I thought you were going to work,” she said.

“I was, but I’m actually really tired for some strange reason. I think I’m going to have a quick nap, then I’ll get up and push through. Do you want to come and join me?”

“Naah,” she said. “I want to run to the local shops quickly to get some bread for lunch. I’ll be back soon.”

Grabbing the car keys, she was out of the door before he could say anything. The local shops were okay for her to go to. A quick five minute drive and she was there, unlike the long drive she wanted to do into the city with Colleen.

“I’ll just put my feet up and have a quick doze while I’m waiting for her to get back,” Allan thought. Then he climbed into bed and fell asleep almost instantly.

Sarah made her way into town in their car and drove to the local department store. She parked the car and walked in to the shop, taking a shopping cart with her, even though she was only going to pick up some bread. She pushed the cart and wandered slowly up and down the aisles, as though she was enjoying the freedom of being out on her own. She was in no hurry to get home. Suddenly she heard a familiar voice behind her.

“Sarah, is that you?”

She turned and looked behind her. There was Colleen.

“Wow, what are you doing here?” Sarah said smiling. “How funny to bump into you here now. You usually shop at night, don’t you.”

Colleen nodded and smiled. “Yup, change of plan today,” she said. “Paul’s out all day at a conference, so I can do whatever I want!”

Suddenly Sarah had an idea.

“Hey Colleen,” she said, “How about going to the mall now?”

“Now? I thought Allan disapproved of it?”

“Yes he does, but… he’s asleep right now. You know him. When he sleeps he really grabs it and sleeps for hours! He won’t even know that I’m gone. We don’t have to stay there long. I just really need to get out! I’m going nuts inside the house! I did tell him I was going to the shops, so it’s not really a lie.”

“Now now that’s not very good,” joked Colleen. “By the way, can we go in your car? I walked. Needed to get a bit of exercise.”

“Sure, no problem. The car’s parked outside. We can go in mine. It’ll be great!”

“Okay, I just need to finish getting some things quickly and then I can meet you outside,” Colleen said.

A few minutes later they met outside the shop as planned, and they went to Sarah’s car. Soon they were on the road to a large shopping mall in the nearby city center.

“So, how long do you think Allan will sleep for?” Colleen asked as they drove.

“The way he looked when he climbed into bed, we’ve got at least three hours! He was looking stressed, and when he’s stressed he sleeps. I shop! Perhaps we’d better make it a little less, just to be safe. I’ll just tell him I got delayed or something if there’s any problem. He’ll probably still be snoring when I get back though. He won’t even know that I’ve slipped out.”

They finally arrived at the mall and parked the car near the shops that they wanted to go to. Then after a quick walk through the car park they began their shopping. Both of them wanted to go clothes shopping, so they decided to start in a large clothing store. Sarah had some money that she had saved up, so after drawing some cash from the teller machine, she began looking for smart slacks and tops. Colleen went to a different area, and after an hour they met up again to go and pay for their purchases and move to another store.

“Look at what I got!” Sarah said excitedly.

She opened the packet to show Colleen as they walked along. She had bought some smart, pleated slacks and a gorgeous top with sequins on it. Allan loved that kind of top on her.

“Wow, that’s awesome! Are you going to wear it for Allan tonight?” Colleen asked.

“Hmm, I don’t think so, because he didn’t even want me coming out remember? I’ll have to try and find a better time to wear it. Maybe only after we’ve moved and I’ve gone out on my own again. It’s a pity – but hey it’s something to look forward to for later I guess.”

Looking at her watch Sarah suddenly said, “Oh boy, we’d better get moving! It’s getting late, and the last thing I want is for Allan and I to have another fight! I do need a coffee really badly though. Let’s go and grab one quickly and then head for home.”

“Great idea,” Colleen said.

They walked as fast as they could to the coffee shop, but everyone in front of them seemed to be having a casual afternoon stroll. Other people kept walking in their way and slowing them down. They finally got to where they wanted to go and ordered their cappuccinos, but there was a learner operating the machines, and she took forever to get them finished!

“Why is that when you’re in a hurry everything seems to go against you?” Sarah complained as they walked out of the coffee shop.

She was beginning to feel anxious as they started heading back to their car. Time was moving, and there seemed to be delay after delay now. She just wanted to get going now. It had been fun, but now it was time to go home. They packed the boot in silence and got into the car. Sarah turned on the car and let it run for a moment or two, then she began to back out of the parking place.

“That was such fun,” she said to Colleen as she began to reverse. “I felt like a bird that had been restricted up until now and was suddenly let out of its cage.”

Suddenly there was the sound of someone blowing their horn loudly and often.

“Who the heck is playing with their horn?” she said angrily. “Some people are so rude!”

Then she moved back quickly, and there was a loud bang and the sound of crunching metal…

/To be continued…

No comments: